Tuesday 11 November 2014

Operation Endtime no6 Ghouls

I've got lots of ghouls in my army.  Ghouls from several different companies and in GW's case several different generations of ghouls.
First up are  the Heresy ghouls.


You've seen this lot before
And this guy who appears to have surgically removed a heart... with a cleaver.  He was hiding and didn't get done with the first lot.  The heresy ghouls are my favorite out of the lot.  They just look the most sinister.  The look like they could have been men once.

The Mantic Ghouls
The Mantic ghouls look very human aside from the big nails stuck in them.  These ghouls are plastic and very cheap.  Unfortunately they're all a bit samey.  There's not a whole lot of variation to them.  They're my least favorite, I'm just not overly fond of the sculpts.  They're also the least fun to paint.

The GW 90's ghoul
This one is an oldie.  These ghouls have the ultimate nostalgia kick for me.  I've had this fellow (and a few more like him) for over 15 years (yes its taken me that long to paint him).  I like to refer to these ghouls as the fat ghouls, they have big bellies after all.  They're some of the beefiest most powerful ghouls out there.

The Modern GW ghouls



These ghouls make up the most of my collection.  These are the scary ghouls.  They've got lots of bits (mainly bones and hooks) imbedded in their flesh like some sort of twisted jewelry, one of them even doesn't have any eyes and another is wearing a skeletal torso on its back.  These ghouls are also plastic, which is why I have them in abundance. 

Not pictured is the inbetween era GW ghouls, aka the skinny ghouls.  I didn't have any to hand.

Now what happens if I mix them all up

Even though the different ranges look quite distinct, when mixed together they look oddly unified in a very rag tag way.  So what's the best range of ghouls to use?  All of them.  Each range has its own elements that add to the unit and combined look pretty unique.

Now to start Arkhan.  This might take me a while.







No comments:

Post a Comment